It's Time to Stop Giving Charles Barkley a Free Pass Just Because He's Entertaining
By Sam Dunn

Charisma and affability can go a hell of a long way in earning you the benefit of the doubt, especially if you're in *lively jazz music plays* SHOWBIZ, BABY, SHOWBIZ! We don't ever want to believe that the playful, viral oh-my-god-can-you-believe-what-he-said types out there are capable of any manner of consequential human error, much less malice.
And that's why we've spent years giving Charles Barkley a free pass. Because he isn't just a lovable goof; he's THE lovable goof. He's the clown prince of sports media, a folk hero whose persona transcends even his all-time great basketball career.
But after his latest display of what is unfortunately a brutal truth about the man's character, our days of lionizing the Chuckster without the necessary caveats absolutely need to be over.
There are almost no times I will beak an OTR “agreement” but this is not OK. And it was all because he came in talking about how he loves Deval Patrick and once someone from Pete‘s campaign came around he said he loved Pete and I reminded him he previously said he was a Deval fan
— Alexi McCammond (@alexi) November 20, 2019
This doesn't mean Turner Sports has to fire Barkley right this minute (though it's their prerogative either way), or that "Inside the NBA" should get axed for a midseason replacement starring John Stamos. It doesn't mean Barkley should be publicly shamed from every rooftop or expurgated from the pages of western cultural history. He's not "canceled," people.
It just means we have to recalibrate, in long-overdue fashion, his bafflingly bulletproof status in our consciousness -- a status he hasn't earned. In the big picture, in fact, Axios reporter Alexi McCammond's anecdote didn't come out of nowhere.
The first serious conversations about domestic abuse in sports were sparked in 1990 by Barkley's comment about beating his wife. A year later, he spat on an eight-year-old girl during a game. A year after that, Nike featured him in the famous "not a role model" ad. https://t.co/xJSbFNKZie pic.twitter.com/Ahfq6JxL3T
— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) November 20, 2019
And further:
Nah. This is the same Barkley who presented on a panel at the NABJ in 2017 and told the room that black women shouldn't report sexual harassment/assault until they're in a position of power. Don't try to rationalize this, he has a history of inappropriate comments
— Mitch Howe (@RealMitchHowe) November 20, 2019
And further:
For those unaware, Barkley also once said this (and later claimed to be joking then too), so he’s got form on this front. Disgraceful. https://t.co/3P5gwW2aZ9 pic.twitter.com/onmlmTLnJT
— Steve Smith (@stevesmithffx) November 20, 2019
It must be noted that there's been a real backlash against McCammond for bringing this to light, and very little of it is due to the fact that Barkley's offending comment was meant to be off the record. Rather, the often-shouted refrain today has been that this woman simply can't take a joke (just take a quick look at the Twitter machine).
Well, allow Sir Charles to be the first to say that what he said wasn't funny, and should never have seen the light of day in the first place.
Statement on behalf of Charles Barkley in response to tweet by Axios reporter Alexi McCammond:
— TurnerSportsPR (@TurnerSportsPR) November 20, 2019
“My comment was inappropriate and unacceptable. It was an attempted joke that wasn’t funny at all. There’s no excuse for it and I apologize.”
Sidebar: take all your lame, sneering "if women really want equality, then they need to be able to take this joke" arguments and shove 'em. For men to treat women exactly the way they might treat other men *to the letter* would be dangerous to the point of horror. As Margaret Atwood wrote, "Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
This ultimately isn't about Alexi McCammond's experience in a vaccum, and I don't anticipate her story being some kind of social tipping point. But if we can use this tasteless moment to chip away at America's gleefully uncritical celebrity hero worship, then we've made a little progress here.
The comments Charles Barkley made to me are not acceptable. Threats of violence are not a joke, & no person deserves to be hit or threatened like that. Silence only allows the culture of misogyny to fester. And those kinds of comments don't merit off-the-record protections. https://t.co/cll93GdZwh
— Alexi McCammond (@alexi) November 20, 2019
Again, Barkely isn't canceled. We don't have to live in a world in which every person is either the GOAT or they're trash and there's zero room for nuance. Life itself contains far more room for evaluation than the reductiveness of, say, Twitter, can allow for.
But let's stop pretending that Chuck is anything more than a retired star athlete with a checkered history who gets paid to say funny and occasionally offensive things on camera.
To pretend otherwise with him or anyone else is dangerous, and in the worst of cases, will end up getting someone seriously hurt.