MLB Owners Reject and Won't Counter MLBPA 114-Game Proposal as Pessimism Grows in Negotiations
By Michael Luciano

While MLB fans were overjoyed to hear that the owners finally caved and agreed to prorated salaries in a shortened season, the hay is by no means in the barn as it pertains to a start date for the 2020 season.
The union recommended a 114-game season ending on October 31, but the owners emphatically said no to that offer, and they aren't even going to send a counter-offer.
MLB rejected the union’s proposal for a 114-game season and said it would not send a counter, sources tell The Athletic. The league said it has started talks with owners about playing a shorter season without fans, and that it is ready to discuss additional ideas with the union.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) June 3, 2020
There is a note of positivity, however, as Rosenthal claims the owners have started talking with the union about playing a shortened season without fans in the stands.
As alluded to by former MLB infielder Trevor Plouffe, the dream scenario for owners involves a short season that goes right into the playoffs, as the postseason is a huge money maker. That could be a tough sell for players and fans, as 50 games would be less than one-third of a full season.
I have heard greater pessismism today from folks on both sides about MLB launching a season than at any point. People who previously thought the sides would find a way, now expressing at least greater doubt (often more than that).
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) June 3, 2020
While the prorated salaries hurdle has been cleared, the difference between 50 games and 114 games is astronomical, and the solution lies somewhere in the middle. The length of the season will be determined by which side capitulates first.